Economía (en inglés)
Grado y Doble Grado. Curso 2022/2023.
The objective of the Bachelor’s Degree in Economics is to train professionals capable of performing tasks of management, consulting and evaluation in economic matters in general, both in the private as well as in the public sector. Future graduates must know the operation and consequences of economic systems, as well as the different alternatives for the allocation of resources, and be able to contribute to their proper functioning and improvement. Specifically, Economics graduates must be able to identify and anticipate the relevant economic problems, formulate and analyze the possible solutions and select the most appropriate ones.
The objectives of the degree are related to the learning of theoretical knowledge and applied training; in particular, linked to:
Fundamental and instrumental knowledge:
Basic legal system and legal institutions;
Basic elements of linear algebra, differential and integral calculus, and mathematical optimization;
Fundamentals of descriptive statistics, probability calculus and inference;
Specific knowledge of the degree:
Elements of business management, including fundamentals of Accounting, Finance, Business Organization and Marketing;
National and international economic history;
Formal fundamentals of individual decision, through microeconomic analysis;
Macroeconomic analysis of aggregate agent behaviour;
Econometric modelling, using univariate models or explanatory variables;
National and international economic reality, production sectors;
Public sector and economic institutions.
Competencias generales, transversales y específicas que los estudiantes deben adquirir durante sus estudios
General, transversal and specific skills that students must master during their studies
The Degree in Economics enables the knowledge and understanding of the national and international economic environment and economic institutions. Its aims include the anticipation, identification and resolution of economic problems, through management and decision-making techniques; as well as the search, interpretation, preparation and presentation of economic information (in Spanish and English). All of this implies that, apart from the specific capacities, the degree qualifies in generic and transversal skills, such as: problem solving, critical analysis and synthesis of information, communication and teamwork, research, or the use of information and communications technologies.
- GC1: Ability to solve problems. Description: To find solutions and to make a fixed and decisive determination to solve a doubt or problem.
- GC2: Capacity for analysis and synthesis. Description: To thoroughly study a topic, problem, case, article, exercise, etc. and to summarize and collect the most relevant information.
- GC3: Capacity for criticism and self-criticism. Description: To value and issue opinions or judgments about what is expressed and / or written by others or by oneself.
- GC4: Capacity for communication and teamwork. Description: To know how to transmit information orally as well as in writing. To collaborate and cooperate with others by providing the best of their skills to achieve team results. To accept and value the competences of others and seek to achieve synergies with their colleagues. To value differences and build relationships based on respect and growth.
- TC1: Ability to apply knowledge to practice. Description: To know how to use the acquired knowledge in the achievement of a specific objective, for example the resolution of an exercise or the discussion of a practical case.
- TC2: Ability to search for information and to perform research. Description: To be able to locate relevant information using different resources (databases, media, manuals, professional journals, etc.) and study that information thoroughly.
- TC3: Use of information and communications technology. Description: To make a proficient use of the available ICT technologies and means (virtual campus, internet, computer applications, etc.).
- SC1: Understanding of the fundamental elements of the national and international economic environment. Description: To know the national and international economic institutions, the basic phenomena of the Spanish and international economy, the tax system and the basic economic laws.
- SC2: Contribution to good management in the private and public sectors. Description: To provide value to the management of an organization through an understanding of its purposes and its position within the market or economic context.
- SC3: Identification and anticipation of relevant economic problems. Description: To analyze, diagnose and anticipate through the relevant information the economic situation of companies, organizations, groups or sectors.
- SC4: Production of advisory reports. Description: To prepare studies on companies, organizations, sectors, countries or regions, providing advice on various aspects of its management or economic activity.
- SC5: Identification of the sources of relevant economic information and its content. Description: To know the different online and other sources of information that provide important data for business decision making.
- SC6: Understanding economic institutions based on knowledge of the laws that govern the economy.
- SC7: Derivation of relevant economic information from the data. Description: To identify and collect data from different sources of information and to treat and analyze it in order to extract the relevant economic information necessary to take adequate decisions.
- SC8: Evaluation of the consequences of different alternatives and selection of the best one. Description: To use a solid methodology to qualitatively and quantitatively assess the impact of different alternative decisions and to recommend the best option.
- SC9: Formal representation of the economic decision processes. Description: To know and understand the techniques most commonly used in Economics to formally represent the behavior of economic agents and their decision processes.
- SC10: Ability to receive and transmit information in other languages, mainly English. Description: To communicate fluently, both passively (listening and reading) and actively (speaking and writing), in languages other than Spanish, mainly English.
• Public Administration: commercial specialists, state economists, credit institution specialists and inspectors, advanced technicians in the general state administration, public statisticians, local
administration treasurers, National Audit Office auditors, Bank of Spain credit institution inspectors, armed forces service corps, etc.
• Private sector in SMEs or large companies: banks, consulting firms, friendly societies or trading companies.
• International organisations: International Monetary Fund, World Bank, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, European Union institutions, NGOs, etc.
• Teaching and research: in business schools, public or private universities, secondary education schools or vocational training.
• Free professional practice: practising as tax consultant or accountant, or working in bank or public institution research services.