Asun López-Varela is Associate Professor at Facultad Filología, Universidad Complutense de Madrid since 1994. She holds a PhD Anglo-American Culture and Literary Studies, a Diploma of Advanced PhD Studies in Spanish Literature from UNED, and a Master in Education Management from the Open University London. Her research interests are Comparative Literature, Science & Literature, Cultural Studies, and Cognitive and Intermedial Semiotics.
A proactive member of the profession, in 2007 she established the research program Studies on Intermediality and Intercultural Mediation SIIM, which has received funding from various sources (please visit website for further information).
Currently, López-Varela is Deputy Head of the Department of English Studies. She is also Vice-Chair at European Commission Unit REA.A2, Marie Skłodowska-Curie European Postdoctoral Fellowships, Social Sciences and Humanities (SOC) . She is also network coordinator at New Directions in the Humanities network (see also Spanish network)
Between Sept. 2017 and Sept. 2019 she was President of the European Society of Comparative Literature (with over 6000 followers on FB). She continues to serve ex-officio in ESCL Executive Committee keeping ESCL webpage and FB.
López-Varela is part of EC of the Association of Alumni of the Real Colegio Complutense in Harvard University and a member of the Marie Curie Alumni Association MCAA. Between 2017 and 2020 she was member of the jury for MCAA Awards and collaborated with the MCAA Policy Group and Bridging Bussiness and Science WG. Between 2017-18, she was part of the Board of Gender Equality for Mobile Researchers in Science (GEMS). MCAA provided support to pursue various courses on Research Integrity (2017-18) organized by Oxford University Press and also courses from European Patent Office, all of which López-Varela passed also with 90% scores. With this training, she was able to collaborate with the Marie Curie Program of the European Office of the Fundación Española de Ciencia y Tecnología FECYT, the Agencia Andaluza del Conocimiento and the EU project RRI Responsible Research and Innovation funded by the European Commission. She was also funded by INJUVE to attend a seminar on SMART participation in Erasmus KA projects in Cryprus Nov.2019.
López-Varela serves as external evaluator for the EU Educational, Audiovisual & Culture Executive Agency EACEA (2013), the European Union Research Program Horizon 2020 (Reflective Societies 2016), and MSCA Marie Sklodowska-Curie (every year since 2014), Evaluator of Trinity College Long Room Hub MSCA COFUND fellowship programme for the Arts and Humanities (2016); She has also evaluated for the scheme of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) and since 2016, annually for the German Academic Exchange Service DAAD P.R.I.M.E. Postdoctoral Researchers International Mobility Experience. Between 2015 and 2019, she was external evaluator of the programs on Comparative Literature at Dublin City University. She has also collaborated with the Institute for Intermedial Studies at Linnaeus University, and as recruitment advisor with the Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia UNED and the Department of Romance Studies Harvard University.
López-Varela was visiting scholar at Brown University (2010) and Harvard University (2013) and visiting professor at Delhi University (2011), Beijng Language and Culture University (one month every year between 2012 and 2015, collaborating in a research project), Al Farabi National Kazakh l University, Almaty (she visits one month every year since 2013 until the present to supervise PhD students). Tamkang University, Taipei & Sun Jat Sen Univ. Kaohsiung (2014-2015). She is a honorary member of the Poetry Award Committee of Beijing Literature and ArtNetwork. In order to strengthen relations between Europe and Asia, López-Varela coordinates the Complutense-One Asia Foundation Seminar Series on Cross-cultural dialogue funded by the One Asia Foundation. She also collaborates with other research groups such as Mitocriticism Research Group at Complutense Madrid and Semiótica Comunicación y Cultura
Lopez-Varela is keen in giving international visibility to SSH research by colleagues and younger peers, and her editorial activities are a clear sign in this direction.
- International Editor New Direction in the Humanities https://thehumanities.com/journals https://thehumanities.com/journals/editors and of the Spanish journal collection https://las-humanidades.com/
- Former International Editor Journal Comparative Literature and Aesthetics (2013-2019) http://jcla.in/
- Collaborator InTechOpen https://www.intechopen.com/profiles/302731/Asuncion-Lopez-Varela%20Azcarate
- Editorial Board Zealos, Journal of Studies in the Humanities, Social Sciences, Arts and Design, School of Humanities and Social Sciences of the University of Nicosia (UNIC).
- Advisory Board 1616 Anuario of the Spanish Society of Comparative Literature https://revistas.usal.es/index.php/1616_Anuario_Literatura_Comp/index
- Advisory Board Comparative Literature and Culture CLCWeb, Purdue University Press https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/clcweb/editorialboard.html
- Advisory Board Cultura: International Journal of Philosophy of Culture and Axiology https://www.pdcnet.org/cultura
- International Journal of Transmedia Literacy https://www.ledonline.it/index.php/transmedialiteracy/index
- Advisory BoardHyperCultura Journal HyperionUniversity, Bucharest http://litere.hyperion.ro/hypercultura/editorial-board/
- Advisory Board Zealos Journal of Studies in Humanities, Social Sciences, Art and Design http://zealosshss.
- Advisory Board Studii şi cercetări ştiinţifice. Seria filologie (SCS))University Vasile Alecsandri https://sites.google.com/site/studiisicercetari/nr-17-2007/Home/editorial-bord
- Advisory Board Southern Semiotic Review http://www.southernsemioticreview.net/editorial-team/
- Advisory Board Cypriot Journal of Educational Sciences CJES http://www.cjes.eu/ part of http://www.world-education-center.org/index-php/index/about/
- Comité asesor deSignis the Federación Latinoamericana de Semiótica (FELS) http://www.designisfels.net/presentacion.html
- Reviewer for Routledge https://www.routledge.com/ Sage https://us.sagepub.com/ Palgrave MacMillan https://www.palgrave.com/gp Peter Lang https://www.peterlang.com/ & Aracne Editrice http://www.aracneeditrice.it/aracneweb/index.php/autori.html?auth-id=240071
Videos of some of her lectures can be found at: Kaznu Dec.2918 & 3D-Symposium Beyond (2014) at Zentrum für Kunst und Medien ZKM