Mariana Neţ is a Professor and Senior Researcher at the “Iorgu Iordan – Alexandru Rosetti” Institute of Linguistics of the Romanian Academy, in Bucharest, Romania. For the last three decades she has been a guest lecturer at many universities in Europe and the US. She was guest professor at the University of Perpignan (1993) and at the Early-Fall School of Semiotics (1997, 2002). She has published 150-odd scholarly essays in Romanian and international journals and anthologies. She has also edited or co-edited 4 issues of international journals (S, Signa) and anthologies.
Among her recent books: Once upon Two Cities. A Parallel between New York City and Bucharest by 1900. Champaign, IL, 2016; Capricci on Fairy-Tale Themes. Bucharest, 2016 (in Romanian); Alexandre Dumas, écrivain du 21e siècle. Paris, 2008; Literature, Strategies, and Metalanguage. A Semiotic Approach. Vienna, 2002; Literature, Atmosphere, and Society. A Semiotic Approach. Vienna, 2000.
Mariana Neţ on media and intermediality
1. Once upon Two Cities. A Parallel between New York City and Bucharest by 1900. Champaign, IL.: Common Ground Publishing, 2016, 273p. ISBN 978-1-61229-863-2
2. Capricii pe teme de basm. București: Eikon, 2016, 193p. ISBN 978-606-711-481-2
3. Post-War Writers’ Memoirs in Romania and France. A Study of Mentalities. http://e-lib.rss.cz 141p.
1. Actual and Virtual Cities. Intertextual and Intermedial Mindscapes. Bucureşti: Univers enciclopedic, 2009 (Editors: Asunción López-Varela and Mariana Neţ), 288p.
2. Signa. Revista de la Asociación Española de Semiotica. « La semiotica rumana. Estado de la cuestion ». Madrid, 2003 (Editoras: Doina Popa Liseanu y Mariana Neţ).
3. S European Journal for Semiotic Studies, 3-4/1994. Semiotics and Mentalities (Guest-Editor: Mariana Neţ, Bucureşti), 378p.
4. S European Journal for Semiotic Studies, 2-2/1990. (Viena, Perpignan, Barcelona,
1. Popular Music and Signs of Time. Romances dedicated to Bucharest. In New Semiotics between Tradition and Innovation. Proceedings of the World Congress of the IASS/AIS. Proceedings of the World Congress of IASS/AIS. Editor-in-Chief: Kristian Bankov. IASS Publications and NBU Publishing House, 2016: 104-111.
2. Cultural Identity and Music in Transylvania and the Banat before and after World War I. In Carmen Andraș, Cornel Sigmirean (coord.), Crossing Borders: Insights into the Cultural and Intellectual History of Transylvania (1848-1948). Editura Argonaut – Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Symphologic Publishing – Gatineau, Canada, 2016: 338-361.
3. Romanian Language Theatre in Transylvania and the Banat after 1918: from Counter-discourse to Discourse. In Carmen Andraș, Cornel Sigmirean (eds.), Discourse and Counter-discourse in Cultural and Intellectual History. Sibiu: Editura “ASTRA” Museum, 2014: 198-218.
4. Guidebooks of Inter-War Transylvanian Cities: an Interface between Difference and Diversity. In: Carmen Andraș, Cornel Sigmirean (eds.), In-between Difference and Diversity: Studies of Cultural and Intellectual History. Sibiu: Editura “ASTRA Museum”, 2013: 164-186.
5. Old and New Symbols in Transylvanian Cities in the Inter-War Period. In: Carmen Andraș, Cornel Sigmirean, Corina Teodor (coordonatori), Itineraries beyond Borders of Cultures, Identities and Disciplines, Sibiu: Editura „ASTRA Museum”, 2012: 125-246.
6. A Portrait of Bucharest as a Mature City. In: Proceedings of the 10th Congress of the International Association for Semiotic Studies (IASS/AIS). Universidade da Coruña (España/Spain), 2012: 53-56.
7. Life Online. În E-motion: Sentiment and Technology (edited by Verena Laschinger and Ralph J. Poole). Istanbul: Fatih university Press, 2009: 161-168.
8. New York City Guides: Social History into text. În: The Sense of America. Histories into Text. (Editors: Rodica Mihăilă. Irina Grigorescu Pană). Bucureşti: Univers enciclopedic, 2009: 231-251.
9. How We Read Postcards. Iconicities, Ideologies. În Transmodernity. Managing Global Communication. Editors: Doina Cmeciu, Traian D. Stănciulescu. Alma Mater, Bacău, 2009, 62-67.
10. La chanson: un moyen privilégié de maintenir la tradition. În: Poétique de la tradition (Sous la direction de: Muguraş Constantinescu, Ion Horia Bîrleanu, Alain Montandon). Clermont-Ferrand: Presses Universitaires Blaise Pascal, 2006: 151-156
11. Museums and Simulacra in a European City. În Semiotics beyond Limits. Proceedings of the first ROASS Conference. Bacău/Slănic-Moldova, October 2006. (Editors. Doina Cmeciu, Traian D. Stănciulescu). Bacău: Alma Mater, 2006: 52-60
12. Notes on Myths, Time, and Communication. În: Mythen, Riten, Simulacra / Myths, Rites, Simulacra. Semiotic Viewpoints: (Jeff Bernard, Gloria Withalm, Hg.). Wien: OeGS, Angewandte Semiotk 18/19, 2001 : 1177-1183