Benjamín Pierre Paúl Ivorra
Titular de Universidad (Associate Professor)
Department of Applied Mathematics and Mathematical Analysis
School of Mathematical Sciences
Complutense University of Madrid
Research Group MOMAT
I did my PhD in mathematics from 2003 to 2006, at the Univ. of Montpellier 2 (France) under the direction of Prof. Bijan Mohammadi. I obtained an ‘Allocataire de Recherche’ fellowship (equivalent to a FPU grant). During this period, I specialized in the areas of optimization methods, mathematical modeling (applied to finance, fluid mechanics and optical fibers) and numerical analysis.
In addition, in 2005, I made a 6-month stay at the BNP-PARIBAS Bank (Paris), funded by a research fellowship, where I applied my knowledge to develop a loan portfolio optimization software.
I obtained my doctor’s degree with the grade ‘Très Honorable’ (Cum Laude).
Then, I successively obtained the following positions at the Univ. Complutense of Madrid (UCM): from 2007 to 2013 Assistant professor (Ayudante doctor), from 2013 to 2018 ‘Contratado Doctor’ Professor and, finally, since 2018 ‘Titular de Universidad‘ Professor.
From my beginnings at the UCM,I joined the MOMAT research group and the Interdisciplinary Mathematics Institute. Taking advan tage of these structures and the contact with new collaborators, I studied new research topics with important impacts in the Spanish society: models in veterinarian and human epidemiology and the study of protein folding processes under high-pressure/temperature treatments (a technology where Spain is one of the world leaders). In addition, I was able to contribute to these research groups by using my knowledge in optimization and numerical techniques and by introducing my own research topics (with the continuation of my works started during my doctorate and new problems such as the design of mechanical structures and the cleaning of oil spill in the sea). I want to highlight the fact that all these research topics have been the result of numerous collaborations. I collaborated with professors from different branches of the science (e.g., veterinarians, chemists) and from national (e.g., Prof. José-M. Sánchez-Vizcaíno) and international (e.g., Prof. Roland Glowinski) institutions. This explains the wide range of areas of the journals where our works were published (classified not only in mathematics but also, for example, in analytical chemistry).
Thanks to these contacts, I carried out various research stays in Spanish and foreign research centers (e.g., Chile, Mexico,USA and France).
Moreover, all these works have been developed within the framework of numerous contracts or research projects (PI and collaborating member) funded both in Spain and abroad (Chile, France, European projects and contracts with companies).
I supervised several doctoral theses (Cum Laude). Finally, I am editor of some journals (indexed in JCR).
- Optimisation algorithms: in particular, low cost global optimization methods.
- Mathematical modelling and numerical simulation: e.g., FEM, FVM, Comsol myltiphysics
- Industrial problems: e.g., Oil spill, Optical Fibber, Microfluidic mixer, Shape Optimization, Food egineering
- Epidemiology: human (e.g., Ebola, COVID-19) and animal diseases (e.g., CSF, FMD, ASF)
- A. M. Ramos, M.R. Ferrández, M. Vela-Pérez, A. B. Kubik and B. Ivorra. A simple but complex enough θthetaθ-SIR type model to be used with COVID-19 real data. Application to the case of Italy. Accepted for publication in Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena. DOI link: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
physd.2020.132839. Research Gate Preprint, 2020. DOI link: https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2. 2.32466.17601
- M. R. Ferrández, J. L. Redondo, B. Ivorra, A. M. Ramos, P. M. Ortigosa, B. Paechter. Improving the performance of a preference-based multi-objective algorithm to optimize food treatment processes. Engineering Optimization. 2020, 52, 5, 896-913. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2019.1618289
- B. Ivorra, M.R. Ferrández, M. Vela-Pérez and A. M. Ramos, Mathematical modeling of the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) taking into account the undetected infections. The case of China. Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, Vol. 88, 2020, 105303, DOI link: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
cnsns.2020.105303. Preprint, 1 April 2020: https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2. 2.21543.29604
- B. Ivorra, D. Ngom, A.M. Ramos. Stability and sensitivity analysis of epidemiological model Be-CoDiS predicting the spread of human diseases between countries. Electronic Journal of Differential Equations. 62, 1--29. ISSN: 1072-6691, 2020. https://ejde.math.txstate.edu/
- M. Crespo, B. Ivorra, A.M. Ramos, A. Rapaport, Shape Optimization of spatial chemostat models. Electronic Journal of Differential Equations, ISSN: 1072-6691, Vol. 2019 (2019), No. 84, pp. 1--26. https://ejde.math.txstate.edu/Volumes/2019/84/crespo.pdf
- M. R. Ferrández, B. Ivorra, J. L. Redondo, A. M. Ramos, P.M. Ortigosa. Predicting The Spread Of Epidemiological Diseases By Using A Multi-Objective Algorithm. AIP Conference Proceedings 2070, 020016 (2019). DOI link: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5089983
- M. R. Ferrández, S. Puertas-Martín, J. L. Redondo, B. Ivorra, A. M. Ramos y P. M. Ortigosa. High-Performance Computing for the Optimization of High-Pressure Thermal treatments in Food Industry. Journal of Supercomputing, ISSN: 0920-8542. Vol 75, Pages 1187-1202, 2019. DOI link: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-018-2351-4. Open link: http://rdcu.be/KzRM
- M. R. Ferrández, J. L. Redondo, B. Ivorra, A. M. Ramos, P. M. Ortigosa, Preference-based multi-objectivization applied to decision support for High-Pressure Thermal processes in food treatment. Applied Soft Computing, 79 (2019), 326,340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2019.03.050
- J. Herrera, B. Ivorra, A. M. Ramos. An Algorithm for Solving a Class of Multi-Players Feedback Nash Differential Games. Mathematical Problems in Engineering. ISSN: 1024-123X. Volume 2019, Article ID 1417275, 14 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/1417275