The Faculty of Mathematical Science, in collaboration with the Journal Revista Matemática Complutense, created in 2002 the figure of Santaló Lecturer. Such a position is occupied each year by an invited distinguished professor (proposed by the Editorial Board of Journal and ratified by the Faculty Council) asked to submit an article to the Journal and give a colloquium lecture about it.
Santaló Conference 2018
Speaker: Bernd Sturmfels, Max-Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig
Title: Learning Algebraic Varieties from samples
Abstract: This lecture addresses the role of algebraic geometry in data science. We discuss work with Paul Breiding, Sara Kalisnik and Madeline Weinstein, aimed at determining a real algebraic variety from a fixed finite subset of points. Existing methods are studied and new methods are developed. Our focus lies on topological and algebraic features, such as dimension and defining polynomials. All algorithms are tested on a range of datasets and made available in a software package in Julia.
Day: jueves 4 de octubre, 13:00.
Place: Aula Miguel de Guzmán, Facultad de Ciencias Matemáticas
- October 26, 2017, Ignacio Cirac (Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics): Quantum Information technologies
- October 20, 2016, Luigi Ambrosio (Scuola Normale Sup Pisa): Well posednessof ODE"s and continuity equations with nonsmooth vector fields and applications
- October 8, 2015, Hélène Esnault (Freie Unversität Berlin): Fundamental Groups in Algebraic Geometry
- October 16, 2014, Lajos Horváth (University of Utah): Statisitcal Inference from Curves
- October 10, 2013, Nigel Hitchin (Oxford University): Complex and Quaternionic Differential Geometry.
- October 18, 2012, Eduard Feireisl (Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic): Mathematics of fluids in motion.
- October 6, 2011, Juan Luis Vázquez (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid): Mathematical Theories of Heat and Diffusion
- October 7, 2010, Giuseppe Buttazzo (Università di Pisa): Spectral Optimization Problems
- October 8, 2009, David E. Edmunds (University of Sussex): Embeddings, Hardy operators and nonlinear problems.
- October 16, 2008, Alfio Quarteroni (Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne): Mathematical models for technology, medicine, and sport.
- October 4, 2007, Nigel Kalton (University of Missouri, Columbia): The nonlinear geometry of Banach spaces.
- October 3, 2006, Narayanaswamy Balakrishnan (McMaster University, Ontario): Permanents, order statistics, outliers, and robustness.
- October 7, 2005, Marcelo Viana (Instituto de Matematica Pura e Aplicada, Rio de Janeiro): Dinámica en el espacio de diferenciales abelianas.
- October 6, 2004, Hans Triebel (Friedrich-Schiller-Universität): The recent theory of function spaces on Euclidian spaces, fractals, and quasi-metric spaces.
- October 7, 2003, Jack K. Hale (Georgia Institute of Technology): Stability in gradient systems.
- October 7, 2002, Charles T. C. Wall (University of Liverpool): The geometry of abstract groups and their splittings.