The implementation of the HRS4R is a continuous improvement process, including:
- The endorsement of the principles of the Charter and Code.
- Reviewing the internal policies, practices and procedures in order to assess the alignement of the institutions practices with the principles of the Charter and Code and the OTM-R (Gap Analysis), and elaborating an Action Plan aimed at improving such alignement. Gap Analysis and Action Plan are published.
- Assessment by the European Commission and award of the HR Excellence in Research logo if deemed satisfactory.
- Implementation of the Action Plan.
- Internal review and external assessment (2 years after the initial award).
- External assessment and award renewal (3 years after the interim assessment).