“Inquiry-based approach in university mathematics: a professional development course”
June 16-18, 2020
Facultad de Ciencias Matemáticas,
Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain)
This international workshop is organized by the Project “Partnership for the Learning And Teaching IN University Mathematics (PLATINUM)” supported by the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnerships Programme and is co-organized by Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM) (Spain) and with the collaboration of Instituto de Matemática Interdisciplinar (IMI) and Cátedra Extraordinaria UCM Miguel de Guzmán.
Local Coordinator: Inés M. Gómez-Chacón
Faculty: Facultad de Ciencias Matemáticas, Instituto de Matemática Interdisciplinar
Phone: +34 913944385
- Barbara Jaworski, Loughborough University (United Kingdom)
- Reinhard Hochmuth, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universität Hannover (Germany)
- Yuriy Rogovchenko (UIA), Universitetet i Agder (Norway)
- Svitlana Rogovchenko, Universitetet i Agder (Norway)
- Natasa Brouwer-Zupancic, Universiteit van Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
- Inés M. Gómez-Chacón and Platinum team, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain)
Language: English and Spanish
Place: Facultad de Ciencias Matemáticas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain)
The aim of this workshop is to provide university mathematics lecturers and research assistants with the educational tools which help them to improve the design and implementation of their own teaching and contribute to better understanding of teaching and learning processes in mathematics.
- Practical initiation of university lecturers into an inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning mathematics.
- Development of methodological skills to design inquiry-based tasks.
- Knowledge of resources: examples of inquiry-based tasks and projects in university mathematics teaching
Requirements and profile of the applicant
- University lecturers teaching mathematics to students at the Faculty of Science (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, etc.), Engineering, Economics, Social Sciences, Psychology, etc. Priority will be given to teachers in the beginning of their academic career and less experienced lecturers.
- Research assistants (PhD students in the last year engaged in teaching or planning to start teaching soon)
Schedule and planned calendar
- Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Matemáticas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain)
- June 16Th (afternoon 2pm), 2020
- June 17TH and 18Th (both morning and afternoon), 2020
All attendees of the course are invited to the Multiplier Event that will take place on June 19Th 2020 at the Facultad de Ciencias Matemáticas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain). This event is organised by Platinum Project in collaboration with Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spanish Committee for Mathematics (CEMAT), SEIEM (Spanish Society for Research in Mathematical Education), Cátedra Extraordinaria UCM Miguel de Guzmán and Instituto de Matemática Interdisciplinar (IMI)