Francisco de la Pisa Pajares (1823-1899)
Francisco de Pisa y Pajares graduated in law from the University of Valladolid and held a doctorate from Central University in 1851. He worked as a teacher of Psychology and Logic in the cities of Ciudad Real and Segovia. In 1854, he obtained the Chair of "Element of Roman History and law" and ‘Criminal law’ in Zaragoza. In 1863, he swapped to the chair of ‘Canon law institutions’ in Valladolid until 1867 when he hold the chairs for ‘Commercial and Criminal Law Extension’ first and ‘Roman law’ afterwards, both of them in Madrid.
Francisco de Pisa was appointed Rector of University of Madrid in February 1875, but resigned in March of the same year. Although he adduced medical reasons, it is difficult not to perceive in this resignation some political disagreement derived from the ‘second university question’. A second term in office as a Rector came from 1881 to 1884. A third period took place between the end of 1885 and 1890 and was marked by interruptions due to a poor health. His last rectory term lasts from April 1894 to April 1895 to finish with a new resignation.
His academic activity was supplemented with his membership to the ‘Academic of History’ and ‘Madrilenian of Jurisprudence and Legislation’, as well as his work as member of the Parliament and the Senate in several terms.