Israel Fernández (Madrid, 1977) enjoyed studying Chemistry at the Universidad Complutense of Madrid (UCM). In 2005, he earned his Ph.D. in Chemistry at the UCM under the supervision of Prof. Miguel A. Sierra (with honors), receiving the Lilly-Young Researcher Award. After that, he joined the Theoretical and Computational Chemistry group of Prof. Gernot Frenking at the Philipps Universität Marburg as a postdoctoral researcher studying the bonding situation and reaction mechanisms of organic and organometallic compounds. In 2009, he received the Young-Researcher Award from the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry and the Julián Sanz del Río award in 2011. At present, I.F. is Profesor Contratado Doctor at the UCM. His current research includes the computational study of the bonding situation and reaction mechanisms of organic, organometallic, and bio-organic compounds with special interest in C–C bond forming processes.
The following publications are representative of our work:
- "Dyotropic Reactions: Mechanisms and Synthetic Applications". I. Fernández, F. P. Cossío, M. A. Sierra, Chem. Rev. 2009, 109, 6687. pdf
- "Double Group Transfer Reactions: Role of Activation Strain and Aromaticity for Reaction Barriers". I. Fernández, F. P. Cossío, F. M. Bickelhaupt, Chem. Eur. J. 2009, 15, 13022. pdf
- "Type-I Dyotropic Reactions: Understanding Trends in Barriers". I. Fernández, F. M. Bickelhaupt, F. Cossío, Chem. Eur. J. 2012, 18, 12395. pdf Selected for Cover Page.
- "Description of Aromaticity in Porphyrinoids". J. I. Wu, I. Fernández, P. v. R. Schleyer, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 315. pdf
- "Controlling the Ambiphilic Nature of σ-Arylpalladium Intermediates in Intramolecular Cyclization Reactions". D. Solé, I. Fernández, Acc. Chem. Res. 2014, 46, 168. pdf
- "Aromaticity in Transition Structures". P. v. R. Schleyer, J. I. Wu, F. P. Cossío, I. Fernández, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2014, 43, 4909. pdf Selected for Cover Page.
- “Activation Strain Model and Molecular Orbital Theory: Understanding and Designing Chemical Reactions”. I. Fernández, F. M. Bickelhaupt, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2014, 43, 4953. pdf
- "Palladium-catalyzed intramolecular carbene insertion into C(sp3)–H bonds”. D. Solé, F. Mariani, M-L. Bennasar, I. Fernández, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 6467. pdf